Have you ever slept in on a weekend? Taken a late
afternoon nap? Drink caffeine or coffee after noon? Been
stressed or had a lot on your mind? All of these activitie
s usually make it more difficult to fall asleep when it’s time for
bed. The fact is that everyone has problems falling asleep
every once in a while. Most people on average take 14
minutes to fall asleep. So if you can’t fall asleep in the first
14 minutes look back at your day and realize the source of why you can’t get to bed. When you realize that your cup ofcoffee or soda is keeping you up at night maybe it’s time to
switch to decaffeinated coffee or a juice. Until then check out these 10 fun things to do when you can’t sleep.
10 Fun things to do when you can’t sleep.
10. Clean the house. Sometimes when you can’t sleep you have a lot on your mind and just need to get you mind off whatever that thing is. Cleaning while you may not think so can help you get your mind off things. If you can’t sleep this is a great way to be productive.
9. Finish your project. Everyone starts a project and sometimes doesn’t have time to finish said activity. If you can’t get to sleep try finishing up something you have been meaning to get to.
8. Read a book on your tablet. It’s 2012 and reading has never been more convenient. With book on tablets now you can read without turning on a light or disrupting your partner. Tablets have a setting that will turn the letters white and turn the background black. This allows only the words to be visible and doesn’t disturb anyone around you.
7. Watch a TV show or movie on Netflix.
If you don’t know by now Netflix allows you to stream almost 75,000 movies, TV shows and documentary over the internet to your tablet, smart phone or gaming device such as Xbox, PlayStation 3 or Nintendo Wii. Picking a short documentary or TV show might be just what you need to get some shut eye.
6. Check out some social media. Everyone these days has a Facebook, Twitter Pinterest or some other social media platform. May people say they don’t sleep because of all of the hours they log on these platforms. We say embrace your social media when you can’t get to sleep. Write on someones wall or like a picture someone posted on instagram.
5. Have a Midnight snack. Sometimes a snack is just what we need to get the rest we have to have. Now don’t go over board and get a full meal but a nice healthy snack is sometime just the ticket. Having a piece of fruit or granola bar won’ t be too hard on your stomach but an occasional sweet won’t hurt either.
4. Write in or start a journal. Sometimes getting our thoughts out of your mind and onto paper helps you get things off your mind. Journals can even be kept online these days with private blogs and journal websites. If you are old fashion get a journal with a lock and key and a nice pen and keep it by your bed.
3. Reorganize something. Is your shoe rack, closet or book case as organized as you would like it? If not go ahead and take this time while you can’t sleep and organize it. Organizing your closer by color and by season can make getting ready in the morning easier which will allow you to sleep in more. This can help you get more sleep in the future and keep you occupied until you are sleepy.
2. Listen to music. Get your mind off things with some of your favorite lyrics. Music can be listened to when you are trying to fall asleep and you don’t want to be active. Laying in bed listening to your favorite Pandora station or shuffling your iPod can diffidently help you get to sleep.
1. Make a to-do-list for the following day, week or month. We all have tasks that we know have to get done. With all of the hustle and bustle of our day to day lives it happens all too often that many tasks go undone. Making a to-do-list and actively checking them off will help make sure that you do not miss anything. Also and maybe more importantly this will give you less to stress about should allow you to get right to sleep when you’re done.